ICU Medical Supervisor, Sustained Tooling in Salt Lake City, Utah
Supervisor, Sustaining Tooling
The Supervisor, Tooling will support the Sustaining Tooling Department and report to the Sustaining Tooling Manager. This position is responsible for production tooling and supporting manufacturing improvements through adherence to good engineering and documentation practices. The key responsibility of this position is to lead, support and manage tooling & molding projects and be action-oriented while adhering to defined procedures. The incumbent will also liaise with the Molding Engineer, New Tooling Engineers, Production, Quality, and Maintenance. This position manages a small team of nonexempt tooling personnel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Functional area tasks and responsibilities day to day:
• Lead root cause investigations utilizing the DMAIC process to improve or prevent issues related to quality and performance of injection molding tools.
• Work with cross-functional team to define and implement projects that drive performance improvements to meet production/plant goals.
• Own and complete CAPA tasks and deliverables (Corrective and Preventive)
• Author procedures, drawings, reports or other documentation required to support preventative maintenance (PM) and repair of production tools
• Release documentation via engineering change orders in product lifecycle management systems
• Guide team in reverse engineering activities and subsequent updates to 3D modeling and drawings.
• Lead team initiatives safety, continuous improvement and training.
• Knowledge/proficiency of Lean/Six Sigma techniques.
• Provide key inputs for building new tools. Participate and challenge in design reviews with a mindset towards maintenance and production. Participation in tooling related validation activities with process engineering team.
• Longer term expectations
• Use broad understanding from start to end of the product manufacturing process in the company to help drive win-win solutions for both product quality and manufacturing
• Lead tool room system improvements in support of annual goals
• Manage lower level tooling engineers and technicians
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
• Strong knowledge in design and maintenance of injection molding tools in regard to common thermoplastics, thermosets and engineered material
• Knowledge and experience working with tool makers in designing and PM of high cavitation tools.
• Knowledge and experience with various types of runner systems.
• Knowledge of mold manufacturing processes and their capabilities.
• Knowledge of plastic part design for manufacturability, and plastic processing.
• Proficient in Solid works or similar.
• Strong skills in project scheduling and management
• Demonstrate problem analysis skills and provide solutions with cross-functional team.
• Review and understand tool & product drawings, tolerance stack up, GD&T, understanding molding processing documents, data collection and analysis and development of standard work instructions.
Education and Experience
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent in related experience
• 6-8 yrs. experience in tool shop environment
• Previous supervisor/management experience preferred
• Experience with Thermoplastics, Engineered material and LSR
• Mold Simulation experience
• Scientific molding/RJG molding knowledge
• Must be 18 years of age
• Typically requires travel less than 5% of the time
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
• This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets
• Work may be performed in a clean room environment
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit or stand for long periods of time.
• Must be able to occasionally move and lift objects of up to 25 pounds
ICU Medical is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Title: Supervisor, Sustained Tooling
Location: UT-Salt Lake City
Requisition ID: 20300728